Tips and strategies from Better Homes and Gardens to help you make smart buys for your home, no matter how you like to shop.
1) Keep a list of specific items you’re looking for (example: 84-inch blue curtains). It will help you shop sales for what you really need rather than being distracted by what you don’t want;
2) Search Google for “discount codes” and the store name, before shopping online. You can usually save at least 10%;
3) Buy furniture via Craigslist.com. Sometimes you find stuff for free, just go and get it;
4) If you live in NY, sign up for groupon.com, you could score discounts of 50% or more on anything from restaurant meals to house cleaning services. Offers change daily;
5) Keep clipped coupons handy in a tabbed wallet. Go through it monthly and throw out the expired ones.