- Declutter as much as possible as you pack.
- Pack a box of stuff you’ll need right away. Things like lightbulbs, garbage bags, paper towels, or go to walmart as soon as you get there and buy that kind of stuff BEFORE you unpack.
- Get a special present or two for the kids, wrap and place on their bed after you set it up (do that quick in case they want to nap ). Then they have a new toy or two ( inexpensive or a new video ) to occupy themselves with while you unpack.
- As you unpack, declutter still more as you see what won’t work in your new home.
- Go for simple when decorating, setting up- it’ll be easier to keep up with later
- Eat out the first day or two after moving or at least have frozen pizza, pot pies, sub sandwiches,etc. No reason to have cleanup mess. Use paper plates till all set up.
- Set up kids rooms first then kitchen that way the kids have their familiar belongings out and they can occupy themselves some while you work. Kitchen of course so you can cook, clean, etc.
- Recycle boxes if possible, if they are good and strong and will work for another move you might put an ad in the paper ( if the classifieds are inexpensive there) and say they are free to anyone willing to haul them off.